Ahsoka Tano is a Force-sensitive Togruta female and a major character in the Star Wars franchise, appearing as the overall main protagonist of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and its follow up television series, Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars: Forces of Destiny.
She is first introduced as the Padawan of Anakin Skywalker during her time in the Jedi Order. During the Clone Wars, she served as a Jedi Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic. However, Ahsoka lost faith in the Jedi Order when the Council did not stand by her when she was accused of treason in the Jedi Temple. She attempted to commit to a civillian life but was soon called back into war by Bo-Katan Kryze to capture Darth Maul which led to The Siege of Mandalore and Order 66. Survivng the Jedi Purge, Ahsoka went into hiding, assuming the identity of Ashla.
However, she was drawn out of hiding and recruited by her old ally through Padmé, Bail Organa to become part of his rebellion against Palpatine. Ahsoka began using the code-name Fulcrum, serving as a spy for the rebels and contact through Hera Syndulla. Along the way, she befriended Ezra Bridger, whom she mentored and became close friends with. Following Ezra's disappearance into hyperspace with Grand Admiral Thrawn during the Liberation of Lothal, Ahsoka joined Sabine Wren on a quest to find him and bring him home.
- 1 Background
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Gallery
As a teenager, Ahsoka was determined to become a Jedi and had a snippy personality. Due to this she was affectionately called "Snips" by her Master, Anakin. She was eager to prove herself worthy of being Anakin's Padawan, especially during their first Battle and their mission to return Jabba's son, Rotta, have to him. Ahsoka also looked up to Anakin, whom she had developed a brother-sister with during their time together as Master and Padawan. Having her trust in him, one of her greatest fears was disappointing him. She had an insecurity that she could never be a Jedi and hid it behind her snippy and determined personality. Again was protective of her friends, which was exemplified when she wanted to save her other mentor, Plo Koon, saved Padmé from an assassin, Aurra Sing, and an unconsciousn Anakin, who she had protected when they were being shot at by Cad Bane. Apart from this, Ahsoka was kind-hearted, generous and kind-hearted, wishing to restore peace and prosperity to the galaxy, even joining Bail Organa's cell.
Ahsoka also tended to pick up several of her Master, Anakin Skywalker's personality, such as acting rash and reckless thinking attributed to her decisions. She would occasionally act Arrogant and brash like her Master would. However, over the years, Ahsoka learned patience and began to approach things more closely than Anakin. Her fatal flaw was that she could never stop trying to prove herself. In the end, she proves to be a loyal and brave individual. Together with Anakin's wife, Padmé, they became a dynamic duo, formed a sisterly relationship together, and were of the most important women in Anakin's life. After Ahsoka had been accused of murder, she became dedicated in proving her innocence. She became disillusioned with the Order after they coldly casted her out. When they offered her a place back into the Order, Ahsoka refused because no one but Anakin believed in her and Barris Offee's betrayal. Her reason for expelling herself from the Order was one of the few reasons why Anakin fell to the dark side of the Force. In the novel Ahsoka, she bravely fought against Darth Maul, even though he was a powerful dark-sider and former Sith Lord. However, she chose to save Rex rather than apprehend Maul. Ahsoka realized that if she and the other Jedi listened to Barris, then the empire and the fall of the order would have never occurred. She pitied her enemy, the Sixth Brother, whose potential for good turned to the dark side. Her encounter with the Inquisitors and her befriending Force-sensitive child Hedala Fardi made her realize she wanted to protect Force-sensitive children from being captured by the Empire's Inquisitors, explaining why she wanted to protect Ezra as well.
During her time as Fulcrum, Ahsoka worked with a variety of rebel cells and had her voice disguised so no one could identify her. She developed a more descrete personality, believing needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, best shown when she urged Hera Syndulla to cease her search for Kanan to protect her crew, including Ezra. Ahsoka decided to come out of hiding once and for all.Ahsoka acknowledged that she was no longer a Jedi at this point and told Ezra Bridger and Kanan Jarrus that she wasn't when they went to Lothal in search of the Jedi temple that resided there. Upon realizing that Vader and Anakin were the same person, Ahsoka was utterly horrified and refused to acknowledge the truth until Malachor, when she accepted that Anakin and Vader were one and the same.
At the beginning of the series, Ahsoka was fourteen to eighteen years old. She was a Togruta woman with orange skin and white markings, blue eyes, and white lekku with blue stripes on them
- Force barrier - Ahsoka created a Force Barrier around her and Ezra as Sidious' flames surrounded them. However, she struggled to keep it up because Sidious was too powerful for her. Ezra joined in the Force Barrier to hold Sidious back but they released it before Ahsoka or Ezra passed out.
Meeting Anakin Skywalker
Assigned to Anakin Skywalker by Yoda by the age of fourteen, Anakin went to meet her new Master and his foremr Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Upon reaching Christophsis, Ahsoka meets Anakin and Obi-Wan and allows them to use her transmission to communicate with Yoda.At first, Obi-Wan was the one who thought that Ahsoka was assigned to him as his Padawan, but she quickly corrected the Jedi Master and clarified that she was to become Anakin's. The young man is utterly perplexed, but begrudgingly brings her along the front lines, where Ahsoka meets his second-in-command, Captain Rex. As the two get acquainted with each other, she notices a deflector shield that the droid army had set up that would block the artillery bombardment. Anakin and Ahsoka both sneak into enemy lines to destroy the shield generators. However, during their plan, Obi-Wan surrenders to Separatist General Whorm Loathsom in order to distract him as Anakin and Ahsoka make their way to destroy the generator. During their fight with battle droids, Ahsoka sees her master struggling as the retail droids pin him down and spots a wall with a convenient whole in the center, and uses the Force to crush the other droids attacking him. Due to their efforts, the generator explodes. In the aftermath, Anakin tells Ahsoka that she is reckless and would never make it as Obi-Wan's Padawan but she might make it as his. Yoda nearly pulls Ahsoka out as Anakin's Padawan, but the young man assures that with proper training and patience, Ahsoka will make a good Jedi, causing the girl to be thankful for Anakin defending her. With Anakin, Ahsoka goes on the mission to rescue Jabba the Hutt's son in the Teth system.
On their way to rescue Rotta on the planet Teth, Ahsoka informs the Clones what transpired between her and Anakin during the battle of Christophsis, immediately building a friendship with the Clones and her Master, who has nicknamed her "Snips" because of her snippy personality. Making it to the fortress, Anakin and Ahsoka find him in a cell, left abandoned and extremely ill. Ahsoka reveals her insecurities on being Anakin's student, but the Young Jedi assures Ahsoka that she will make it and that nothing happens in hte Force by accident. They are alerted to the presence of Asajj Ventress when they hear Rex call Anakin by his first name, something Rex never does and only addresses Anakin as "General."
Master and Padawan are forced to flee on an abandoned ship, where Ahsoka briefly engages in a duel with Asajj Ventress, Dooku's apprentice before Anakin intervenes as they steal a ship, dubbed the Twilight and returning Rotta to Tatooine. Ahsoka helps heal the Hutt child and fianlly cures him of his affliction. When returning to Anakin's homeworld, Ahsoka remains unaware of Anakin's past experiences on the planet. Meanwhile, the Battle Droids are sent after Ahsoka and Anakin, leading them to split up. While Ahsoka rushes off to Jabba's palace, Anakin distracts Dooku. On her way, the girl is attakced by Dooku's droids but she manages to fight them off. However, she spots Anakin and tries to track him down, but her master flies by her. Ahsoka makes it to Jabba's palace, returning Rotta safely to his father. However, Jabba still believes that they are there to kill him and orders his gangsters to execute them. However, he is contacted by Padmé Amidala, who reveals Dooku decieved him and that his uncle Ziro was in on the plan the whole time. Thanks to Ahsoka's and Anakin's efforts, the Republic forms an alliance with the Hutts.
Throughout the series, Ahsoka continued to fight on the battlefield with Anakin and Obi-Wan. However, she and Anakin often argued with one another about Battle tactics. Most of the time, Ahsoka rushes in to save him from certain doom. Among her adventures, Ahsoka comes across several friends and enemies, such as assassin Asajj Ventress, pirate Hondo Ohnaka and general Grevious and becomes close friends with Anakin's wife, Padmé Amidala. During the war, Ahsoka learns to see that not all things are black and white. She also gains a love interest in Lux Bonteri, the son of a Separatist Senator Mina Bonteri.
Ahsoka's apprenticeship withIn season 5, Ahsoka's apprenticeship with Anakin at took a dark turn when she was framed by Barriss Offee for the bombing of the Coruscant Jedi Temple hanger and murdering the culprit, Letta Turmond. Terrified, Ahsoka fled to prove her innocence with the help of Asajj Ventress, who was now a bounty Hunter, after convincing they had a lot in common. however, Ahsoka was attacked by a woman dressed like Ventress and made sure she was found with the nanodroid explosives used in the temple bombing. After Ahsoka was found with them and arrested by Clone Troopers, she was expelled from the Jedi Order and faced trial in front of the Galactic Republic, with Padmé Amidala representing her but she failed to convince others Ahsoka was innocent (especially by Admiral Tarkin). However, before a sentence was carried out, Anakin apprehended the true culprit, Ahsoka's own best friend, Barriss Offee, who now believed the Jedi council know nothing but war and violence. Following her trial, the Jedi Council offered Ahsoka a place back in the Jedi Order, possibly earning the rank of a Jedi Knight; however, Ahsoka ,because of her disillusionment with the Jedi Order when none but Anakin believed her innocence, rejected them. Anakin attempted to convince her to stay; however, Despite her master's protests, she tells Anakin she has to follow her own path, without the Jedi and without him, and sadly walks down the temple steps to whatever and wherever the Force will take her.
Ahsoka's departure haunted Master Yoda, as he felt guilty for not standing by her during her trial.Her departure also intensified Skywalker's frustration with the Council, as he felt they had betrayed her and left her with no choice by turning their backs on her during her trial. Others, such as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka's old mentor, failed to realize that the Jedi Council was also to blame.
Following her departure, Ahsoka continued to live on the lower levels of Coruscant before befriending two other women, Rafa and Trace Martez, where she soon discovered that there was another side of the war she was not opened to, especially learning after their parents died during the Senate hostage crisis.
In the early days of the rebellion, Ahsoka establishes a network of the rebellion's secret informants established by her, calling themselves "Fulcrum" in honor of Anakin Skywalker's frequency used during the Clone Wars. She frequently contacts Hera Syndulla, providing her and her crew with several jobs and leaving provisions for her on Fort Anaxes, an abandoned Clone military base. ("Old Friends Not Forgotten","Out of Darkness")
Ahsoka, as Fulcrum, supplies Hera with information about Imperial activity. She later plans to give Hera with supplies she needs to provide for her crew and contacts her, informing Hera that she has arrived at the rendevous point at Fort Anaxes and wonders if she should wait for her until a young woman tells Ahsoka to wait for their arrival. Knowing Hera has a young woman who is deemed "Spectre-5," Ahsoka decides to leave in order to keep her identity a secret. ("Out of Darkness")
Several days later, Ahsoka is contacted by Hera to help Tseebo, a friend of one of her crewmates, escape Imperial custody. As "Fulcrum" comes to take Tseebo away, Ahsoka announces her arrival. Sabine asks Hera if she and Zeb can meet "Fulcrum" but she tells them some other time. Ahsoka presumably takes Tseebo somewhere safe, but not before he tells Hera the fates of Ezra's parents, Mira and Ephraim. (Gathering Forces)
In an unspecified amount of time, Ahsoka is contacted by Hera about Senator Gall Trayvis coming to Lothal after Ezra Bridger had a vision of him. She tells Hera that the senator always puts coded messages in transmissions, it is always the one he is visiting. (Vision of Hope)
As Fulcrum, she assigns Hera Syndulla and Spectres on a milk run to pick up supplies for Tarkintown refugees on Lothal on the planet Kaller. (Kanan)
Ahsoka is informed of Kanan's capture and how his team is trying to rescue him. However, she tells Hera that Kanan risked everything, even putting his own safety over his family's. Despite Hera's insistance that they can find Kanan, Ahsoka believes that their cover is blown for they were to be unseen. She informs her friend of Ezra's transmission gaining the attentions of not only civilians, but the highest ranking levels of the Empire and tells Hera to halt the search to protect Ezra and her crew. (Rebels Resolve)
After the spectres ignored her warnings and went to rescue Kanan, several days later, Ahsoka is contacted by C1-10P, Hera's droid, who realizes he and his companions are outnumbered at Mustafar and needs assistance. Urged, Ahsoka and Chopper return to the system, rescuing the Spectres in the process. After leading Phoenix Cell at Mustafar and helping the Ghost crew escape, Ahsoka finally showed herself to the other members. Though Hera addresses her as Fulcrum, Ahsoka tells them her real name and informed them of being part of a wider rebellion. When Kanan asks of her presence, she tells her former fellow Jedi that hope has sparked in the galaxy. Ezra asks Ahsoka what is to happen next, but she reveals she is not sure but knows that a chapter for Ezra is ending and a new one is beginning. ("Fire Across the Galaxy")
By 9 BBY, Ahsoka was living on the planet of Corvus.
- Ahsoka was named after the ancient Indian emperor, Ashoka the Great, but the Spelling was altered by the screenwriter.
- During her time in exile Ahsoka went by the alias "Ashla."
- She was called "Snips" by Anakin due to her snippy personality. At first, it was Anakin mocking her before becoming a term of endearment.
- In her debut appearance, Ahsoka was fourteen-years-old. By Season Seven, she is approximately seventeen. By the time of the first season of Star Wars Rebels, she was thirty-two. In the epilogue, she was at least forty-one.
- Ahsoka is the first female Jedi to be a lead character in the Star Wars universe, the second being Rey Skywalker.
- During "Twilight of the Apprentice," the audience wondered what Ahsoka's fate was after the second season finale. It was finally answered in season 4 episode, "A World Between Worlds," where Ezra Bridger from the future had rescued her and pulled her into the world before Vader could kill her.
- Unlike Luke and Ezra, whose lightsabers transitioned from blue to green, instead, Ahsoka's an inverse of this trope.
- Some fans wondered how Maul knew Ahsoka. The answer was given in the novel, Ahsoka, where, during the final days of the Clone Wars, Ahsoka had confronted Maul in a duel during the siege of Mandalore.
- She was given colorless blades to indicate she was neither Sith or a Jedi.
- T'he Mandalorian is Ahsoka's first live-action appearance.
- Ahsoka is similar to Ezra Bridger because she was the same age Ezra was at the beginning of their respective series, are the youngest of the main cast, both have a rash personality, and have protective Jedi Masters whom they sometimes clash with (Anakin and Kanan) who is like a family member to them and do not finish their Jedi training and they both lost their Jedi Masters, Anakin and Kanan and they were both helpless to save him and both encountered Darth Maul who attempted to sway them to his side. Because of these, Ahsoka is fairly close to Ezra, who is something of a nephew to her.
- Asajj Ventress and Darth Maul appear to be foils/dark counterparts to Ahsoka Tano
Connections to Other Star Wars media
- Maul attempting to get Ahsoka to join him in defeating the Emperor in the Mandalorian throne is similar to Ren offering Rey his hand in The Last Jedi.
Behind the Scenes
- Ahsoka was created by George Lucas due to having two daughters himself and a female characters young girls could relate to.
- She is voiced by Ashley Eickstein and portrayed by Rosario Dawson in The Mantalorian.
- When giving Ahsoka a shoto lightsaber, she was forbidden to have the color yellow and instead given yellow-green.
- Ahsoka originally had a poor reception when she debuted in the film, but overtime, her popularity grew among fans alike.
- Ashley Eickstein waas originally unaware of her characters' survival after her confrontation with Darth Vader.
- In an official interview with Star Wars Website on Rebels, Filoni explained why Ahsoka would not be enough to redeem Vader: because she was a relationship Vader considered a failure and that in a twisted way, he would be angry with her and consider it get fault.
- Her re-appearance to Sabine in white robes during "Family Reunion - and Farewell" is a direct nod to Gandalf's return in The Lord of the Rings. They both are clad in grey in their first appearance, and return in white robes from their apparent deaths after fighting an opponent to protect their friends (Kanan and Ezra; the Fellowship of the Ring)
- Ahsoka's episode arcs, "Ahsoka's Journey" and "The Siege of Mandalore" have been in development since before Season 7 was announced and prior to the cancellation of the series.